Tires are an important component of a vehicle. For this reason one must be very careful when buying them. This article provides useful tips to those who wish to purchase tires.
For more than 100 years tires have served as a key safety feature for vehicles.Worn out or under inflated tires put the vehicle and its occupants in grave danger. But often it is seen that people are not aware about tires to make a proper purchase. Here are a few tips that will help a buyer in this regard.
- Tire basics: A tire is basically a flexible container of compressed air. It supports the load of the vehicle, helps it to move and stop, and also acts as a cushion against the imperfections of the road. Modern tires have around 19 to 25 different components.
- Select the right one: It is crucial to buy tires of the correct size. On the sidewall of a tire there is a code that tells its size and capabilities. Moreover, the speed rating is also an important factor that needs to be considered. Load carrying ability, size, construction and traction are the other areas where one must pay attention.
- Dependable store: There are a large number of Canadian tire stores and so it is of paramount importance to select a reputed one. Due to the advent of internet technology, tires can be easily purchased in an online store. Research thoroughly before deciding on a particular retailer.
- How one drives:As a driver, one may prefer a soft ride, firm ride or a mix of the two.A tire needs to be purchased based on such needs and priorities. Moreover, the tire should be in a position to support the load of the vehicle. In most cases an all season tire is good enough but in extremely low temperature snow tires will be the ideal choice.
- Fuel economy:Fuel economy can be a key deciding factor for many buyers of tires. Proper tire selection can have around 15 to 20 per cent impact in the fuel economy.
- To buy new or used tires: Most people prefer buying new tires. But if one wants to save some money, then he/she can opt for a used tire which is in a good condition.
- Tread wear: Factors like driving habits, road conditions and climate determine tire longevity. Tough road conditions like potholes will wear down the tread at a faster rate.An average all season tire will last a couple of years under normal driving conditions.
- Recommendation of the vehicle manufacturer: A particular vehicle will have a specific tire size and type that is recommended by the manufacturer. This recommendation is based on the off road capability, steering, size and weight of the vehicle.
- Vehicle maintenance: A set of tires can give the best performance when the vehicle is maintained properly. Issues with CV joints, brakes, suspension etc. should be duly taken care of.
- Reviews: Several reviews of previous customers of tires can be found on the various websites and forums online. So going through these reviews and undertaking some research will help a buyer to make an informed decision.
- Maintaining the new tires: After purchasing the tires and replacing them one must maintain them properly so that they give good performance.